Corporate Strategy Considerations with VCC
VCC remotes by smartphone allow Station Groups to offset selected coverage costs while improving programs and helping reach corporate environmental goals.
1. Producer options build better shows. Crew limitations, travel constraints of time and cost, and video transport costs all impact show quality. The ideal producing environment is one where anyone in the producer’s contact list can be aired from anywhere in the world, from where they are at the moment. With VCC anyone with a decent 4G or broadband signal can be available for air, nearly instantly, using apps already ln their phone, without downloads. Workflows support both live and taped contributions.
2. Quality First means savings: Many news organizations use IP Video (smartphones or computers) reluctantly because of historical poor quality and dropped connections. VCC’s patented approaches and experience across thousands of video calls have overcome many of the vagaries of the public internet while providing large savings to its customers.
3. Instant return video for better shows. Because VCC instant connections are super-low-latency and every connection has an instant return feed of the air, remote participants can respond directly to studio talent to enhance the feel of a show. Contributors can even voice over live events or b-roll remotely.
4. Cloud Control. VCC’s central hub design balances central efficiency with local technical connectivity. Call Producers work through VCC’s Caller Queue® video caller management system running on Amazon Web Services to connect calls between the interview subject’s smartphone and “end point” hardware located near each news control room for low latency (tight) interviews without the delays of bonded cellular or satellite-based remotes.
5. Efficiencies: Using a fixed cost model, participant operated smartphones under Call Producers supervision permit significant reductions in crew overtime, and total crew days, travel, and coverage related capital costs.Skilled videographers and on-site reporters can never be replaced, but the boring work of handling talking heads provides corporate opportunities for strategic re-thought. (See our White Paper on the six dozen steps an on-site crew takes.)
6. Different Thinking. VCC enables the use of centralized resources for selected news coverage and live remotes. VCC’s smartphone news model for Broadcast Groups and other multi-location news companies is based on a central personnel managing video remotes. The remotes are delivered locally to individual stationsfor live air or pre-recorded and delivered directly to edit rooms via the Cloud. Highly trained Call Producers work with program participants in the local market or around the world.
7. A National Coverage System supplements local coverage. With VCC, traditional crews are not needed for a certain number of live and pre-recorded interviews from outside the station. Instead, Call Producers at a centralized location handle smartphone remotes as ordered by the local desk or show producers. All the Call Producersneedisa name, a mobile number, and a hit time.
8. Central Staffing= Multi-location support. Efficiencies can be found for a Station Groupwhen smartphone remote interviews are managed centrally. For example, the same Call Producer could manage live shots for shows at5p Eastern, 5p Central, 5p Mountain, 5p Pacific, 11p Eastern/10p Central, and 10 Mountain ALL in the same eight-hour shift.
9. The right side of 5G. VCC workflows are designed for IP video connections today, and tomorrow. Systems for quality call production will be needed in the future as 5G becomes ubiquitous because no matter how far technology goes, a Call Producer will be needed to tell a subject to reposition a shot so it is not up their nose or they are sitting against a bright white wall.
10. GREEN Sustainability. Each person who doesn’t travel by air or land, each truck that’s not needed, and each parking place that can be avoided improves the Company’s sustainability profile and helps reach its corporate goals. The VCC approach delivers many tons of carbon savings each year and helps everyone do their part.